Raccoon Removal Tips And Tricks

« Back to Home

Benefits Of Choosing Quartz In Your Kitchen

Posted on

Quartz is a popular choice for stone kitchen countertops.  Other common stone options are granite and marble.  While all have pros and cons, quartz has become increasingly popular over the past fifty years.  There are many benefits to choosing quartz when designing your kitchen. 

Introduction to Quartz Countertops

Quartz countertops are not made out of 100% quartz.  In reality, a typical quartz countertop will only be about 93% quartz, with the remaining 7% resin.  Sometimes pigments will be thrown in to alter the color.  Since quartz countertops have a man-made element to them, colors are able to be altered, which is different from other stone countertops. 

The origin of using quartz for countertops can be traced back to one Italian company.  This company holds the patent for quartz countertops and developed the process in the 1960's.  The popularity of quartz countertops has really picked up in recent years, and there are currently many companies manufacturing these countertops.

Benefits of Quartz Countertops

There are many benefits to choosing engineered quartz for your kitchen countertops needs. 

  1. Quartz is one of the hardest minerals found in nature.  As a result, it is very strong.  The strength of quartz makes it very durable.  It is also virtually scratch resistant.  This is very useful in the kitchen, where knives are often used.  It also holds up quite well with hot materials, such as pans off the stove or dishes out of the oven. 
  2. Since quartz is non-porous, it is great for food preparation.  There is nowhere for germs and bacteria to hide, making it a sanitary surface to prepare food on. 
  3. Quartz is stain-resistant and easy to clean.  Even if you spill red wine on a quartz countertop, it wipes up easily.  
  4. Caring for quartz countertops is easy, as they are very low maintenance.  Other types of stone countertops require annual sealing and sometimes complex cleaning procedures.  Quartz does not have to be sealed and does not require a lot of attention.  Although quartz may cost slightly more than other types of natural stone initially, in the long run, it can save money since it does not have to be sealed yearly. 
  5. From an aesthetic standpoint, quartz is a great choice if you want a natural stone countertop.  Since the countertops are man-made, there are many color options.  These colors also are uniform and different sections can match each other perfectly.  They can be more easily matched to other aspects of your kitchen.  There are also no imperfections in the stone.